Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Super Sentai and Power Rangers

Deviating from the norm, I'd like to talk about something near and dear to my childhood.

When I was kid the big things was Power Rangers; the multi-colored, masked group of teens who were ready to  kick the ass of a screechy witch released from a space dumpster on the moon. Sure it's cheesy and campy. Sure it's taking it's source material from it's Japanese Super Sentai counterpart. And sure it had little to no plot what-so-ever. But, I loved them, I idolized them, I pretended to be them.

The reason I bring this up is because the latest Super Sentai series, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger came to an end last Sunday. As it was the 35th anniversary of the series, Gokaiger dedicated itself to honoring the previous series that came before it. They had cameos from previous Sentai members and the awesome thing was that they gave the Ranger team the abillity change into all 194 previous rangers. It was great throwback to my childhood and provided me a year full of entertainment and more crowning moments of awesome than you can shake a stick at.

It also taught me that no matter how old you get, you'll still value the heroes you grew up with and carry their lessons, power, and spirit with you. And when I'm being stalked by a tall, thin, faceless bastard, as silly as it sound, I sometimes look back on those times I pretended to be one of them, and it makes things a little better.

So thank you Super Sentai and thank you Power Rangers for giving and helping me so much.

On that note, I give you the credits to the epic movie Gokaige vs. Goseiger! Super Sentai 199 Hero Great Battle (I believe that's the correct order of the words ^.^; )


No comments:

Post a Comment